Brandon Wason over at the Novum Testamentum Blog has reported that Bruce Manning Metzger died yesterday. Wason also has some links to articles about his death posted.
Metzger’s major contributions were to the study of the text of the New Testament. His name appears on countless works of text-critical studies. I know I frequently use his Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament and The Text of the New Testament (which was recently revised by Bart Ehrman).
For his contributions to textual criticism, Metzger will be rememberd as one of the giants of 20th century scholarship.
Others talking about Metzger:
- Evangelical Textual Criticism
- Iain Torrance’s tribute to Metzger
- Princeton Theological Seminary’s official story
- SBL Obituary by Mike Holmes
- John Piper’s Tribute to Metzger
- LA Times article (via NT Gateway)
- Gordon Fee’s Comments
- Keith Elliot’s comments in The Independent